Ever since Jesus walked the earth, Christians have been persecuted and killed for their faith. From the Muslim invasion of Europe 700s-1492, Christians were forced to convert, submit, become slaves, or die. The Catholic Inquisition 1200-1500s, was an attempt to completely control Christianity. Many Christians were killed. Owning even a part of Scripture, or saying the Lords Prayer could be a death sentence. In the 1500s, the newly formed Church of England continued the persecution.
Christians prayed for ‘Freedom to Worship’ and ‘Freedom to Spread the Gospel’. America became an answer to those prayers.
- Psalms 34:17 The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.
- Proverbs 15:29 The LORD is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous.
In the day of Christopher Columbus, science said the Earth was flat. Sailors were afraid of sailing off the edge of the earth. This is one of those cases that science should have looked at the Bible. The Bible states in Isaiah 40:22 and Job 26:10 that the Earth is round or a circle, not flat. The Bible also states that the Earth is free in space, sitting on nothing (Job 26:7).
In 1492 Spain finally defeated the Muslims, that had invaded their land. It was a great victory. In thanksgiving to God, the king and queen of Spain sent Christopher Columbus on a journey to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the unknown lands, across the sea. Like any of us Columbus had his faults and weaknesses, but he was a man God could use.
Upon landing in the New World Columbus prayed - “O Lord, Almighty and everlasting God, by Thy holy Word Thou has created the heaven, and the earth, and the sea...” At every island they stopped, as a token of Jesus Christ our Lord and in honor of the Christian faith. they erected a large wooden cross.
On Tuesday October 16, 1492 Speaking of the Indians, Columbus said ‘They have no religion, and I believe they would readily become Christians, for they have a good understanding.’
Pilgrims, Puritans, Quakers and others came to the ‘New World’ to find ‘Freedom of Religion’ and ‘Freedom to Spread Gospel of Jesus Christ’.
The Mayflower Compact 1620 stated “Having undertaken, for the glory of God, and advancement of the Christian faith, and honor of our King and Country, a voyage to plant the first colony in the northern parts of Virginia, do by these presents solemnly and mutually, in the presence of God, and one of another, covenant and combine our selves together…”
God’s intervention included a Hostile Indian tribe (known to kill ‘white men’), being killed off by a plague. A couple years later Christians landed in a beautiful uninhabited land.
From our Declaration of Independence We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator...
During the Revolutionary War, Ethan Allen captured Fort Ticonderoga. He claimed authority from, ‘In the Name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress’.
Written Ronald Stange - November 2016
Today we are told our first president, George Washington was not a Christian, but a deist. But history shows a different story.
-The French and Indian War 1750s-60s was prior to the American Revolution and George Washington was an officer in the English army. After a heavily fought battle bullet holes were found in George's coat, but the bullets didn't make a mark on his skin. He had multiple horses shot out from underneath him. The best marksmen the Indians had, could not kill George Washington. He was known to Indians as the man who couldn’t be killed. God divinely protected him to lead our nation.
-On June 1, 1774 George Washington wrote in his diary, ‘Went to church - fasted all day.’
As General of the American army and as president, George Washington showed he was a Christian.
-In 1775, he ordered, ‘The General orders this day [July 20, the first national fast day] to be religiously observed by the forces under his Command, exactly in manner directed by the Continental Congress.’
-Also in 1775 he ordered, ‘requires and expects of all soldiers not engaged in actual duty, a punctual attendance of Divine services, to implore the blessing of Heaven upon the means used for our safety and defense.’
-On May 2, 1778 he issued orders, ‘The Commander-in-Chief directs that Divine service be performed every Sunday at 11 o’clock, in each Brigade which has a Chaplain.’
-George Washington said, ‘It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor.’
-John Marshall, Chief Justice of Supreme Court stated of George Washington, ‘Without making ostentatious professions of religion, he was a sincere believer in the Christian faith, and a truly devout man.’
-When George Washington was sworn in as President he put his hand on the Bible and then kissed it.
It was common knowledge that George Washington was a Christian, until 1926. In 1926 one person wrote that he was not a Christian. Then others that hated God used that writing as a reference to ‘prove’ our first president was not a Christian.
Our early United States government showed we were a Christian nation
-After George Washington's inauguration he and congress went to church as a government function.
-In the very first meeting of the United States Congress, they prayed, studied the Bible, and read Psalms 35.
-United States Congress 1782 passed resolution, ‘The Congress of the United States recommends and approves the Holy Bible for use in all schools.’
-United States Congress 1864 adds to US coinage, ‘In God We Trust’
How could all these things be true with the Constitutional ban on supporting a religion? It was assumed by the founders of this nation that America was a Christian Nation. Christianity to them was not a religion. Quaker, Puritan, and Baptist would be considered denominations or religions.
Written Ronald Stange - November 2016
John Adams was our 2nd President.
-When asked, ‘Can we overcome Great Britain in the struggle of the Revolutionary War?’ He answered, ‘Yes we can overcome, if we fear God and repent of our sin’.
- In 1798 he said, ‘Our Constitution was made only for a moral, religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.’
Alexander Hamilton was our 1st Secretary of the Treasury
- Began work to form the Christian Constitutional Society. It’s design was to help spread the Gospel all over the world.
- When asked the two things which made America great, he responded, ‘Christianity and Constitution formed under Christianity.’
- 1787 after the Constitutional Convention he stated, ‘For my own part, I sincerely esteem the Constitution, a system which without the finger of God, never could have been suggested and agreed upon by such a diversity of interests.’
Thomas Jefferson was our 3rd President and it is said today that he was not a Christian and he didn’t want Christianity involved with the government. However true history disagrees with the revisionist view of history we see today.
- Jefferson wrote a book commonly referred to as the Jefferson Bible. Today it is commonly said, he made his own Bible, taking out parts he didn’t like. But real true history shows the name of the book is ‘The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth’. The content is taken from the 4 Gospels. The first chapter is historical up to the baptism of Jesus, and the rest is nothing but the words of Jesus. Jefferson’s plan was to use his book as a missionary tool.
- In 1774 during the Revolutionary War he drafted a resolution calling for a “Day of Fasting, Humiliation, and Prayer.”
- He negotiated treaties with Indians that included government paid missionaries of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- He was one of the founders of the Virginia Bible Society
- He ordered a military band to play at church services in the US Capital.
- He proclaimed, ‘No nation has ever existed or been governed without religion, nor can it be. The Christian religion is the best religion that has been given to man and I, as Chief Magistrate of this nation, am bound to give it the sanction of my example’
- He also said ‘Of all the systems of morality, ancient or modern which have come under my observation, none appears to me so pure as that of Jesus.’
- Jefferson was not an atheist or deist, but by today’s standards a 'radical Christian’
John Jay, First Chief-Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court said, ‘Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is their duty, as well as privilege and interest, of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.’
Benjamin Franklin is another on of the founders of our nation, that is said today to have hated God. But again true history shows he trusted in the great Creator God of the Christian Faith.
- At the Constitutional Convention, on Thursday June 28, 1787 he said, ‘In the beginning of the contest with Britain, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for Divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered… do we imagine we no longer need His assistance?’
- In 1787 he stated, ‘God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel.’
- In the 1749 plan of education for public schools in Pennsylvania, he insisted that schools teach ‘the excellency of the Christian religion above all others, ancient or modern.’
- Another one of his statements was, ‘Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.’
This is only a small sampling of the acts and words of the founders of this nation. The revisionist view of history we hear today, that America was formed as a secular nation, is nothing but a lie. America was formed by praying, Bible believing Christians to be a Christian nation. Were everyone of the founders committed Christians, and did we always do everything right? Of course not, but America was built upon the firmest of foundations a nation can stand on, Christianity.
Written Ronald Stange - December 2016
This is another small sampling of facts proving America's Christian foundation.
Abraham Lincoln - 16th President
Quote ‘The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next.’
Quote ‘The only assurance of our nation's safety is to lay our foundation in morality and religion.’
James Garfield .20th President - preached 19 Christian revivals
Calvin Coolidge 30th President
Quote ‘The foundations of our society and our government rest so much on the teachings of the Bible that it would be difficult to support them if faith in these teachings would cease to be practically universal in our country.’
Harry S Truman - 33rd President
Quote ‘The fundamental basis of this Nation's law was given to Moses on the Mount. The fundamental basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings which we get from Exodus and St. Matthew, from Isaiah and St. Paul.’
Quote ‘This is a Christian Nation.’
Quote ‘I do not believe there is a problem in this country or the world today which could not be settled if approached through the teaching of the Sermon on the Mount.’
Dwight D. Eisenhower - 34th President
Quote ‘Without God there could be no American form of government, nor an American way of life. Recognition of the Supreme Being is the first, the most basic, expression of Americanism. Thus, the founding fathers of America saw it, and thus with God's help, it will continue to be.’
- In 1954 ‘Under God’ was added to the Pledge of Allegiance.
- In 1956 ‘In God We Trust’ was made the official motto of the United States of America
- In 1957 ‘In God We Trust’ was put on all paper money of the United States.
John F. Kennedy, 35th President
Quote ‘The rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.’
Ronald Reagan, 40th President
‘Quote ‘Without God there is no virtue because there is no prompting of the conscience... without God there is a coarsening of the society; without God democracy will not and cannot long endure... If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under.’
Quote ‘America was founded by people who believed that God was their Rock of safety. I recognize we must be cautious in claiming that God is on our side, but I think it's all right to keep asking if we're on His side.’
U. S. House Judiciary Committee 1854, ‘Had the people, during the Revolution, had a suspicion of any attempt to war against Christianity, that Revolution would have been strangled in its cradle... In this age, there can be no substitute for Christianity... That was the religion of the founders of the republic and they expected it to remain the religion of their descendants.’
United States Congress 1854, ‘The great, vital, and conservative element in our system is the belief of our people in the pure doctrines and the divine truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.’
The United States government gave Bibles (or New Testament and Psalms) to American Solders including during World War 1 and 2.
Written Ronald Stange - December 2016
It is clear that North America was settled by and the Revolutionary War fought by, multiple Christian denominations. It was assumed that America was a Christian nation.
The words of the 1st Amendment of the Constitution, ‘Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...’, must be taken in context of the words and acts of the founders of our nation.
In United States Congress, 1854, “The great, vital, and conservative element in our system is the belief of our people in the pure doctrines and the divine truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.”
In Congress, U. S. House Judiciary Committee, 1854, ‘Had the people, during the Revolution, had a suspicion of any attempt to war against Christianity, that Revolution would have been strangled in its cradle... In this age, there can be no substitute for Christianity... That was the religion of the founders of the republic and they expected it to remain the religion of their descendants.’
The United States government gave Bibles (or New Testament and Psalms) to American Solders including during World War 1 and 2.
Proof of America being established as a Christian nation includes
- Prayer in congress, starting at the very first meeting
- The 10 commandments displayed in the Supreme Court
- Thomas Jefferson ordering a military band to play at church services in the capital
- The first Supreme Court Chief Justice stated ‘Americans should select and prefer Christians as their rulers’. \
- America’s children were taught to read, by reading the Bible.
By acts and writings of the founders of this nation, America was formed by Christians, to be a Christian Nation. Christian, but not a specific denomination.
Few people know of the fact that the Federal Government was forbidden from having a ‘State Religion’, but individual states supported Christianity and individual denominations. State support for individual denominations ended due to the 14th Amendment (1868). The support varied by state. This is only some of the support given.
- Connecticut used Tax dollars to support the church, until 1818
- In Rhode Island, ‘Generic Christianity’ was the state religion, until 1842.
- In Delaware, Maryland, and Massachusetts, only Christians could hold public office.
- In South Carolina, the Official Religion was shared between denominations, until 1868
- In Georgia, New Hampshire, and New Jersey, only Protestant Christians could hold public office. This exclusion of Roman Catholics appears to be due the Catholic Inquisition (1300-1500s) that killed many non-Catholic Christians.
- Virginia had a moral code for all citizens, ‘Duty of all to practice a Good Christian Life’.
- New York and North Carolina, did not allow ministers to hold public office, because they needed to be about more important things, the saving of souls.
- Pennsylvania (and others), required an oath of Christianity to hold public office.
This is the Oath to hold public office from Delaware, 'I _______, do profess faith in God the Father, and in Jesus Christ His only Son, and in the Holy Ghost, One God, blessed for evermore; and I do acknowledge the holy scriptures of the Old Testament and New Testament to be given by Divine Inspiration.'
America is no accident. God’s people prayed, God sent His people to this great land, God blessed this land and it’s people, God’s people served and trusted Him and America was born.
Written Ronald Stange - January 2017
Because of the Faithfulness of God’s People, God has blessed America.- America has had the greatest consistent prosperity in the world- Since World War 2 the US Dollar has been the common standard/reserve currency of the world- Our military has been great and respected- We have enjoyed the greatest consistent freedom on Earth- For over 200 years the greatest freedom to worship God has been in America- No nation has done more to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ than the United States- Our country has been respected all over the world- People would give everything to come to America- God’s word and the American family stood as the foundation for our society- America’s children were taught and carried on the American Dream
But America and American Christians have believed the lies of the Devil and God’s blessings are fading from this land.Lie number 1 - Christians were told that government is evil and Christians should not be involved.Result - Christian and God fearing leadership has been replaced by the ungodly, promoting the views of atheism, humanism, and other world religions.Lie number 2 - Education of American children needs to be standardized for all American children, under government control.Result - Bible, prayer, and Christians morals have been removed from the education system, and been replaced by the immorality of godless atheism and other world religions.Lie number 3 - Christians should not be involved in American media or entertainment.Result - With few exceptions our media and entertainment industries continue brainwashing, pushing anti-Christian values and giving honor to other world religions.Lie number 4 - We must not (or can not) change society, just blend into it.Result - Many that consider their selves Christians, will end up in Hell, because the Bible clearly says ‘Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.’ (James 4:4)Lie number 5 - We must show love to the sinner (non-Christian) by not offending them.Result - We are sending people to Hell, in refusing to tell them, we all have sinned and need to turn to Christ for forgiveness. ‘But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.’ (James 1:14-15) ‘For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;’ (Romans 3:23) ‘Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.’ (John 14:6)Lie number 6 - We must not judge or condemn evil, after all sin isn’t so bad these days.Result - Anti Biblical moral values are bringing America under the judgement of God. We have killed over 60 million unborn babies (including by partial-birth abortion). We are legalizing the homosexual lifestyle and homosexual marriage. Divorce rates have radically increased with a great number of couples today, living together without getting married. The Biblical family unit created by the God of the Bible is dying in America today. ‘Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil...’ (Isaiah 50:20) ‘God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent...’ (Numbers 23:19)
Donald Trump said he will make America Great Again. But without the blessings of God, America will never be great again. It is up to us. It must start with those of us that call ourselves Christians. 2 Chronicles 7:14 states ‘If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.’1 We must humble ourselves before God.2 We must pray, pray, pray.3 We must seek the face of God or seek His ways and His presence.4 We must turn from our wicked ways, including our sin and support of sin.5 Then God says He will hear our prayers, forgive our sin and will heal our land.If we do our part, God will truly make America great again.
Proverbs 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.Psalms 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD...
Written Ronald Stange - February 2017
IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COME TO YOUR CHURCH AND GIVE A PRESENTATION ON GOD, HIS PEOPLE AND THE FORMING OF AMERICA, PLEASE CONTACT ME.